Cameron Norrie has revealed that a rib injury has disrupted his preparations for the 2026 French Open, casting doubt over his fitness ahead of the opening round.
The British number one is scheduled to face Paraguay’s Adolfo Daniel Vallejo on Tuesday but admitted he has not been able to practise at Roland Garros due to the injury concern.
Norrie suffered the issue during his defeat to Mario Navone at the Geneva Open and later admitted he may have made a mistake by continuing the match.
“I probably should have retired. I kept pushing because I had never retired before in a match in my career,” Norrie told BBC Sport.
The 30-year-old added that he “overdid” his preparations and failed to listen to his body before the injury worsened.
French Open Injury Concern Adds To Britain’s Fitness Problems
Norrie’s injury is the latest setback in what has become a difficult season for British tennis players on the fitness front.
Jack Draper, who replaced Norrie as British number one in 2024, has already been ruled out of the French Open with a knee injury.
Meanwhile, Emma Raducanu has battled fitness issues throughout the season after suffering a bruised foot and later dealing with a viral infection.
Katie Boulter also arrived in Paris after recovering from flu, while Jacob Fearnley has struggled with rib problems of his own in recent months.
The injury list has raised concerns about the physical demands of the modern tennis calendar, with several British players suggesting the packed schedule is contributing to recurring fitness issues.
Norrie Still Hoping To Compete At Roland Garros
Despite the setback, Norrie remains hopeful of recovering in time for his first-round clash.
The world number 22 said the extra recovery time before Tuesday’s match could help him return to full fitness.
“We’ll see how we can get myself ready to play and give it everything on Tuesday,” he said.
Norrie has built a reputation for consistency at Grand Slam events, reaching at least the third round in 15 of his last 20 major appearances.
Last year, he reached the fourth round at Roland Garros and once again carries Britain’s hopes at the clay-court Grand Slam.
British Tennis Depth Tested At French Open 2026
Only six British players are competing in the singles main draws at this year’s French Open, with injuries significantly affecting the squad.
The Lawn Tennis Association has reportedly found no repeated injury pattern among British players, while several athletes believe the recent problems are simply unfortunate timing.
Still, the growing number of fitness setbacks has once again highlighted concerns over Britain’s depth in singles tennis ahead of another major tournament.



















Discussion about this post